March 9, 2020 @ 8:30 am – March 12, 2020 @ 4:30 pm
Surveying and Sampling Strategies for Asbestos in Buildings
This course aims to provide background and practical knowledge in the surveying of buildings for asbestos and to provide general guidance on management procedures necessary to minimise exposure to any identified asbestos.
It is important to note that before undertaking this course students are expected to be aware of the principles required to survey buildings for asbestos. Additionally, experience of asbestos surveying under the supervision of a competent surveyor would be beneficial.
Upon successful completion of this course students should:
- Have a clear understanding of the requirements relating to safe management of asbestos in buildings
- Be able to describe the uses of asbestos in buildings and the public health risks these might pose
- Understand the principles of and requirements for asbestos surveys, risk assessment and risk management strategies and their role in reducing health risks
- Have detailed knowledge of the approved methods for the sampling of ‘bulk asbestos’ along with situations where segregation might be required
- Have a good understanding of suitable PPE & RPE to be used and the methods for personal decontamination
Attending this course requires additional study and reading outside of class times.
Students are advised to make use of the pre-study tools provided by Fibresafe NZ & BOHS before course begins to improve chances of successful completion.